Sunday, June 19, 2011

FINDING TIME TO WRITE


       With the demands on a published author - and for that matter an unpublished writer looking to get published - to brand and promote oneself, the serious question arises: when do I have time to write?



I can't begin to name all the social and professional networks I belong to that give me a web presence, including writing blogs like this one, but I will list a few. Twitter and Facebook, of course, KindleBoards, Goodreads, Shelfari, LinkedIn, Red Room, Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America; then there are the listservs like DorothyL. I've been on and off DL for ten years. Like me, book people come and go.



I don't know how many readers I've acquired through the listservs and groups like Murder Must Advertise, but I get a lot of good information and I conduct free book drawings from time to time.  It's a way to stay connected with the reading and writing community, not just for sales but to interact with friends I've met online and in person.

So, when do I write?


On weekday afternoons unless on a tight deadline. There are so many things to take care of in the morning - housewifey stuff, returning put-off calls from yesterday, reading and answering emails - that I've designated morning as taking-care-of-business time.

At one o'clock (if I'm not playing golf), I write until five with necessary breaks - for me and Bogey, the demanding standard poodle who adorns my book covers.



 Unless for research, I don't crawl the net or answer the telephone. I research, edit, write. Period.

About golf. I play on Saturday and Sunday - again, unless on a tight deadline. One day during the week, I play and usually I'm finished and back at my desk by one-thirty. Two at the latest. Then I extend my work day until six o'clock.



Writing is a demanding master (aka self-flagellation), but publication is vindication for the blood and toil. Then I have to address an even more demanding master: promotion.

Gerrie Ferris Finger
THE END GAME
THE LAST TEMPTATION released 2012
THE GHOST SHIP  released 2011
HONORED DAUGHTERS
WHEN SERPENTS DIE
WAGON DOGS
http://www.gerrieferrisfinger.com/
http://www.crimewritersblog.blogspot.com/


COMING JUNE 2011


6 comments:

  1. Hi Gerrie. I see your name everywhere so you're doing a great job of on-line promoting. I'm glad you can still find the time to golf. I come up with my best plots when I hike or swim. I've spent a considerable amount of time promoting locally which has paid off with tons of appearances and book sales. But my writing has suffered so I've had to block out "writing weeks." When I go to the local Safeway and purchase a stack of Kit Kats, they always remark, "you must be writing today!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fit a lot into a week, Gerrie--and your books show the time you devote to writing. I agree--it's a great deal to do. I haven't mastered half the sites you have (note to self :) but I agree that they can be distractions from the actual writing. In fact, my writing machine (sounds so sci fi) isn't even net-enabled--I have to go downstairs to check email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm online a lot because I really like interacting with people. If the time I take pays off, that's all to the good. I don't believe in being a drive-by author, only appearing when I've something to promote. Friends and followers see that right away. Whether online or in person, friendships need nurturing. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy people too, and spend a lot of time (probably too much) online. I have a hard time balancing things so I can focus on writing. I'm not able to do it in 15-minute spurts--wish I could--but need quiet and time to concentrate. That makes it harder but I love being able to go into another world for a while. Gerrie, you do accomplish a lot. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gerry-
    I hear ya! Writing is my passion, but in order to get published and to stay connected there are a lot of places to "take part in". Like you, I try to do a little bit of everything each day. It is a lot of work, but there are so many interesting people out there! It sounds like you have found a good balance. I think I need to write myself out a schedule. :)

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care and best of luck with your writing-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- and I absolutely love the cover for The End Game!

    ReplyDelete