Tuesday, September 13, 2011

CELEBRITIES AS NOVEL CHARACTERS

I speak to book clubs, libraries, civic clubs and book signings. Inevitably I'm asked if I base my characters on celebrities or people I know.

I use people I've known or strangers that impress me  to craft characters, but while they're important to me, most readers want to know about celebs, so I'll reveal all.

In the Laura Kate O'Connell Plantation Series, I've used Robert Redford's and Sean Connery's facial and personality characteristics. Laura Kate is most like Vivian Leigh as Scarlet O'Hara.

Moriah Dru in THE END GAME looks like Diana Rigg (as Emma Peel). I tried to make Richard Lake look like Warren Beatty, but Lake wouldn't cooperate. As Dru observes, his irregular facial lines and planes come together to make him handsome.

Ann Gavrion's "silvery quality" in THE GHOST SHIP was modeled after the late Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.

Having a "model" helps in "seeing" these characters. But, like Lake, most of my characters have unique appearances and personalities that comply with their actions and attitude. When they act out I have to rethink my visual of them.


Gerrie
http://www.gerrieferrisfinger.com.
THE GHOST SHIP
THE END GAME
HONORED DAUGHTERS
WAGON DOGS
WHEN SERPENTS DIE

No comments:

Post a Comment