Wednesday, May 1, 2013

CUMBERLAND ISLAND - Strong Women, Wild Horses

Hello,

Last weekend I attended the annual Amelia Island Book Festival in Fernandina Beach, Florida. I had a fabulous time hobnobbing with the many authors that I met. The event -- from luncheon to the sale of books by authors ready to autograph them -- was a huge success, and my compliments to the organizers. I was told this was the third venue since the festival's founding. It kept getting bigger and bigger, and that's good news for authors and readers. Lest I forget, the Kid's event was a buzzing success, too.

I had the pleasure of meeting a Facebook friend, Holly McClure. We've made a pact to get together with others in our Georgia authors and readers community.

Happily, I was reunited with a colleague from my days at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Charles Seabrook. I am retired and Charlie is semi-so -- his editors having pressed him to continue his column, "Wild Georgia". This is good for those who enjoy a lively piece on nature and our environment. At the newspaper Charlie was the National Environmental Reporter. When he wrote a probing series about Georgia's mining industry, he won the Investigative Reporters and Editors "Best Story of the Year" award in 1994.

Charlie is also the author of the beautiful, CUMBERLAND ISLAND - Strong Women, Wild Horses. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, half way through, it's dynamic in its depiction of the island itself and its inhabitants. Wild horses could serve as a metaphor for the wilderness island, but they're very real. The horses are sturdy little buggers that are as protective of their small herds as the women who fought to protect the island they loved, dating from the days of the Revolutionary War until today.

Highly Recommended



I've been on Cumberland a number of times. It's a fascinating place, and (plug in here for moi), my granddaughter photographed the Grand Avenue for the cover of my book WHISPERING, a romantic suspense novel set on the island -- renamed Sago Island for fictional purposes.

 
 

 
CUMBERLAND ISLAND, Strong Women, Wild Horses
John F. Blair, Publisher
Fourth Printing

Gerrie Ferris Finger
Did I say Cumberland Island, Strong Women, Wild Horses was highly recommended?

No comments:

Post a Comment