Sunday, November 21, 2010

BLUE MOON MONTH


A blue moon is the second full moon in a calendar month, but other sources define it differently. The Farmer's Almanac defines blue moon as a fourth full moon in a season. If a season had four full moons, then the third full moon was named a blue moon. Odd, because that defines it in retrospect.


Curiously, often times the moon appears bluish, perhaps because of smoke (from volcanoes) or dust particles., or maybe people see blue because it's a blue moon.

Blue moon is also used colloquially to mean something that rarely happens, or, once in a blue moon.


Songwriters Rodgers and Hart gave it an additional meaning. In their song, Blue Moon, the protagonist of the song is relating a story of a stroke of luck so unlikely it must have taken place beneath a full moon, and since blue is also the color of sadness, this rare event is personified by a blue moon taking pity on a poor lonely, loveless singer.


Lyrics:
Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone, Without a dream in my heart, Without a love of my own, Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for, You heard me saying a prayer for, Someone I really could care for.


And then there suddenly appeared before me, Someone my arms could really hold, I heard you whisper "Darling please adore me," And when I looked to the moon it had turned to gold,
Blue moon, now I'm no longer alone, Without a dream in my heart, Without a love of my own.
Happy Blue Moon Month
Gerrie Ferris Finger

2 comments: